Acne Scars can seem like double punishment
First you had to suffer through the pimples, now you have the dreaded marks that never seem to fade as fast as you would like.
Acne scarring can be two fold.
First is the postinflammatory hyperpigmentation which leaves red or brown marks. Second are the ice pick scars which is an indentation or “pit” in the skin.
At Rao Dermatology, we have specialized devices and treatments that can erase or at least minimize these marks and indentations.
Acne Scar Treatment
Acne scars, also known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, are dark or red spots that remain after an acne lesion has healed. When the pore swells from acne, a break occurs in the follicle wall. If the break is deep enough, the redness becomes semi-permanent and indented scars can even occur.
The redness is due to the blood cells that pool in the area and then harden in an attempt to heal the infected pore. While uneven skin texture and pigmentation changes may lessen with time, many people are unhappy with the long-lasting changes caused by acne that may ultimately distract from their appearance.
Fortunately, at Rao Dermatology we employ the most advanced technologies to safely and dramatically reduce the look of all acne scars by reducing pigment, brightening skin, and evening out complexion.
Types Of Scars
- Icepick Scars – Characterized by thin but deep columns of missing skin tissues. Commonly arising from severe acne, icepick scars usually appear on the cheek or nose.
- Boxcar Scars – Boxcar scars are round or oval depressions with steep vertical sides. Wider than ice pick scars, boxcar scars give the skin a pitted appearance.
- Depressed Fibrotic Scars – If ice-pick scars are somehow aggravated, they can transform into large, hard, crater-like scars
- Macules – Flat pigmented patches. Typically the end result of severe acne, appearing and persisting after the original inflammation.
- Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation – Appears anywhere on the body and varies in size. Often caused by hormonal changes, and/or acne inflammation.
- Soft Scars – Generally small, these vary in depth and shape
- Atrophic Macules – Soft and sometimes blue or white. These can appear on the body as well as the face.
- Follicular Macular Atrophy – Small, raised, generally white bumps, usually seen on the chest or back
- Rolling Scars – Rolling acne scars are relatively broad depressions in the skin that have rounded, sloping edges.
If scars are your concern and you are considering treatment, we welcome you for an individualized consultation.
Acne Scar Treatment Options:
At Rao Dermatology we are proud to offer a variety of procedures that will successfully treat all types of acne scars from superficial to deep acne scar tissue. Depending on the type of acne scarring, treatment plans will differ from patient to patient.
We offer a number of different laser treatments that can enhance the look of acne scars including IPL, Laser Genesis, Nano Laser Peel and Sciton Profractional. Our laser treatments offers a degree of control and efficacy that allows for highly precise sculpting of the skin. The laser can target superficial to deep acne scar tissue and is ideal for patients who want dramatic results with minimal down time.
Dermal fillers are an effective way to treat and potentially get rid of certain types acne scars, being particularly effective for rolling scars and some less defined boxcar scars. They are safe and well tolerated, with great results to fill the depression associated with scars. They are excellent for volume loss caused by acne scarring.
Medical Facials are a great way to maintain your skin and treat acne scarring. They are affordable milder forms of treatment that can still make a difference when done routinely.
Book Your Acne Scar Treatment Consultation
At Rao Dermatology we work closely with patients to determine the best course of treatment for their unique needs. We encourage anyone suffering from acne concerns to contact us to set up their complimentary consultation, where they can learn about the many treatment options available to help them achieve the beautiful, glowing skin they desire.
Fill in the form below to book your free acne scar treatment consultation now.